Sunday, November 29, 2015

Francis Fitzgerald


Francis M. Fitzgerald was the founder and principal owner of 
Mr. Fitz
WGIV. He was a remarkable man. Personally, he was the first and  best "boss" I ever had. I don't remember his ever criticising me, although I made many mistakes. An announcer named Johnny Surratt who was about 5 or 6 years older that me taught me the mechanics of the job and offered valuable advice that served me well over the years.  The larger lessons I learned from just watching and being around Mr. Fitz, as we all called him.  Throughout my almost 65 years in Broadcasting, not many days went by when I didn't think of Mr. Fitz.   Very few "crises" in the topsy-turvy world of broadcasting confronted me that I didn't ask myself, "What would Mr. Fitz do?"  The answer almost always served me well.   

-Ed Myers


From a WGIV brochure celebrating "Genial Gene Day" December 15, 1951.

Genial Gene Bio....from the same publication:



Genial Gene 1951


No comments:

Post a Comment